Environmental Outreach/Recycling Student
Located in the south-central region of B.C., the Regional District of Okanagan-Similkameen (RDOS) covers an area over 10,400 km2 and is renowned for its orchards, vineyards and golf courses, as well as its widely varied landscape including deserts, mountains and valleys, and pristine lakes. Outdoor recreational opportunities are endless throughout the Regional District and residents enjoy a wide array of activities all year long.
The RDOS is currently recruiting for a temporary, full-time student to provide environmental outreach and public education services for solid waste.
The student will participate in the Area G Clean Up Project which will require the student to locate, document, and catalog different types of waste as well as develop maps with various refuse types in the Hedley area. The student will work with volunteers and with the consultant to develop materials for Open Houses and mail outs in line with the Communications Plan. Travel will be required to Hedley, BC for this component of the position.
Solid waste reduction will include reducing recycling contamination by reviewing and cleaning up landfill depots and developing educational methods and tools. The work will include travel to RDOS landfills in Penticton, Oliver, and Keremeos to speak directly with residents using required social distancing. The student will also develop signage, brochures and online resources to enhance recycling initiatives.
- Secondary school graduation or equivalent.
- “Student” means an employee who is attending school, college, or university who has just completed their studies or intends to return to school, college, or university in the subsequent academic year.
- A certificate, diploma or degree in a related discipline will be considered an asset.
- Strong interest in environmental education and/or marketing.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and marketing skills.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Valid First Aid Certificate or an ability and willingness to obtain one.
- Ability to work varied hours that include daytime, evening and weekend shifts.
- Valid BC driver’s licence.
This temporary, full-time position is included in the BCGEU bargaining unit. The hourly wage for the position is $15.30 plus 14.75% in lieu of all benefits. Qualified individuals are invited to submit their application in PDF format quoting Competition No. 21-24E by 4:00 pm, Monday, May 3, 2021.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary
Salary: $15.30 per hour
- On-site parking
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Secondary School (required)
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place